Aug 22, 2011

Going Paraben Free: My Experience So Far.

Hello lovelies,

How is your Monday? hope you are having a great start to your week!

Today's post although is make up related, is a bit more serious. I am going to talk about parabens, what they are and why they are bad for you.

So what are parabens? They are essentially a group of chemicals that are used as cheap preservatives in cosmetics and also other body care products, such as shampoos, body washes, lotions, etc.

Although not directly linked to breast cancer, there was a study published in the Journal of Applied Toxicology, which found parabens in 18 out of the 20 samples of breast tissue from cancer patients. However they did not claim a direct connection between the two.

I won't go into to much of the biology here as it can get a bit confusing and the details are very specific. What I did read however made me want to take the plunge into paraben free living.

I am not doing this post to scare anyone, I did however find myself wanting to share this with as many people around me as I can. Although I did know that there were many ingredients and chemicals in the make up that I used I never actually looked into what they were until recently. I was watching some youtube videos, as I actually find makeup videos calming (call me crazy lol) and I saw that one of my favourite youtubers MissJenFABULOUS had posted a video about parabens and after watching that I started to do more research about it. You should definitely check out her video as she did a great job and has a great amount of information in that video. After watching that I found another youtuber who has decided to go paraben free and she does great videos about products that are paraben free. Her channel is PirouetteMakeup I love this girl, her videos are great and she is also a supporter of cruelty free make up so definitely check out her channel as well.

So to start my paraben free experience, I did not go crazy and throw everything out. I did a post previously about how much I love Bath&Body works and how their lotions are amazing and they still truly are but unfortunately they do contain parabens. Because of my eczema I use a large amount of body lotion every day, so sadly I will not be using the remainder of mine. I have 4 of them and I have not even used half of each bottle. I will not be throwing them away however I will either give them to others that do not care about parabens or sell them to anyone that would like them.

So finding a paraben free body lotion was first on my list.

Burt's Bees naturally Nourishing Milk & Honey Body Lotion ($12.97)

Burt's Bees was the one brand that kept popping up when I was doing research about natural products and their products had amazing reviews so I went to Walmart and this is the one I found. It smells amazing and feels great on my skin. The one thing that I do not like about this lotion is that I have to rub it in for a while before it absorbs. I can however live with that for now and will try another one of their lotions with a more liquid formula after I finish this one.

Next up was deodorant. This is another item I use daily once or more so I wanted to replace mine with a paraben and aluminum free one.

 The Body Shop DeoDry Dry-Effect Deodarant ($5.00)

I found out about this from one of Nika's videos, so I thought I would check it out for myself. I also picked one up for The Boy and my brother. This one smells really nice, it's light and floral but still a clean scent. So far I really like it and it does a good job.

I also picked up a few make up items that I use daily.

                  Physicians Formula: Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara ($14.97)
             

I have one word for this mascara, AMAZING! the wand is very similar to the LashBlast one from CoverGirl. and it makes my lashes look amazingly long and full. I have been wearing it for a week now and I can tell you that it does not flake at all so it has great staying power. It is a bit pricey but is still around the same price as other drug store mascaras like the loreal ones which I had been using.

Physicians Formula: Organic Wear Bronzer ($20.87)

This bronzer is pretty good. It is very light so it will work well on fair skin as a bronzer and on darker skin tones it will probably work well as a powder or as a highlighter. I quiet like it as I have very fair skin so this works well as a bronzer for me for a bit of colour for daily use. If I did want a darker bronzer though for a night out maybe this will not work very well and I will be looking into their other bronzers.

Physicians Formula: Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Gel CreamLiner ($13.97)

I am a big fan of gel liners. A week before my paraben free kick I got pink eye from a bad chest infection so I had to throw out my MAC blacktrack gel liner and some other eye make up. So this was the perfect time to look for a paraben free one. This is the one I picked out and it is the one for green eyes since I have green eyes. Every pack comes in three colours that are meant to enhance different eye colours. Mine is in black, a plum colour and also a green. I have used the black one so far and it is very dark and very creamy which makes it very easy to work with. I used the brush that came in the package and it is an ok one. I am waiting for my sigma angled brush to get here so until then this brush will do. This liner only smudged a bit on my botton lash line but that was after hours of dancing and sweating (gross I know) but my MAC one did the same so that is not a problem for me.

BALMSHELL lipgloss: Darling You Look Fabulous ($20)

Last but definitely not the least is my new super cute lipgloss from BALMSHELL. As I was searching for paraben free lip glosses I came across their website. It is actually a fun and interactive website and the swatches on there are pretty accurate. I bought mine from Shoppers Drug Mart but I believe they are also available at Sephora. The company was started by twin Canadian sisters so that is always a plus as I try to support Canadian businesses whenever I can. I really love this colour it is a gorgeous darker pink. The gloss feels very nice on the lips after application, it is not sticky and makes my lips very soft. The other night I went out for dinner, I put this lip gloss on in the car a good 15 minutes before arriving at the restaurant, I had water, wine, dinner and after 3 hours I was drinking coffee and when I looked down at my coffee cup there was a lip gloss imprint on the rim. Can you say WOW!! I was so surprised as I have never experienced that with lipgloss before. This product definitely gets a 10 out of 10 from me. I am in love and wish I could have bought more colours the price held me back but I will certainly check them out in the near future.

I did not buy foundation as I already have the BareMinerals foundation but in the winter I will look into a liquid one.

Here are my products all happy together :) You can also see the colour of the lipgloss a bit better!

I hope this post is helpful and informative. There are great resources about parabens online so check them out. A big thanks to Nika and Jenny for doing their great videos and inspiring me to start this. Another great and informative blog is Paraben Free Princess she does not blog regularly now but she has an amazing archive of posts about products you can read.

Although going paraben free is an expensive experience specially at the beginning, in my opinion it is worth it, as I would rather be safe than sorry. I also will not be purchasing some of those items again any time soon as they will last me a long time. I will do more posts about this as I continue to find more products, so I will definitely share them on here for those that are interested :)
Have yourselves a beautiful day!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, organic mascara and bronzer :p Sounds cool! Did you get your stuff from Apothica yet girly? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is cool and it's healthy so I'm in love! not yet I'm waiting until I finish my face moisturizer, then I'm going to buy a natural one I've had my eyes on from their website! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had no idea that Balmshell glosses were Paraben free! They are one of my favorites and I would've been devastated to give them up! Plus their packaging is the cutest!! :). Thanks for the great product ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't either until I googled paraben free lip gloss lol. I am in love with this, I'm definitely going to buy more colours but because of the price I'll wait a bit. and the packaging is seriously the cutest!
    and no problem I really enjoyed doing this post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog, your comments mean so much to me! xo