Aug 17, 2011

All for a great cause!

Hello lovelies,

How is everyone's week so far? Fabulous I hope!
Today while my post is fashion related, it is way more than that. For a while I had been looking for a way to be part of or contribute to an organization that encourages free trade or helps women earn wages in those parts of the world where this help is needed.

Well while I was browsing the internet for such an organization I came across Indego Africa. You can read all about what they do on their website, which is rather educational. They are a none for profit organization and I absolutely LOVE what they are trying to do. They educate women in Rwanda in literacy, business and more. They encourage these women to combine what they learn with their already existing talents of making handcrafted items such as jewelry and home decore items.

Many big name companies have collaborated with Indego Africa to sell these women's products, such as  Ralph Lauren and Anthropologie.

I was very excited when I found this website as it was exactly what I had been looking for, for a long time. But I found out that I cannot actually order anything from their online shop yet as they do not deliver to where I live yet.

I was very disappointed at the time, but then I kept browsing their website and came across a page where they mentioned other organizations and that is when I came across bluma project.

This is another organization with the same goals, where a group of ladies themselves travel to Africa and train women there how to make jewelry and then they bring the jewelry back to the U.S. to be sold. What was amazing was that their products can be purchased online on no other website than Shopbop!!

So I immediately put in an order, which was by no means large, but it was what I could offer at the time. Here is what I ordered:




I LOVE it and wear it everyday. As a bonus, it's in my favourite colour!
They have more items on the website so check them out!

Helping those in need is really not that hard when you think about it. A couple of months ago I decided that every month I would pick a charity or organization that I feel strongly about and will donate as much as I can. I have a couple of coffees a day so I have cut down on buying coffee and just make it at home and take it in a coffee mug to work and school. I have also cut down on other frivolities. Trust me it adds up! 
 While I think donating money is great, I really love organizations like the two I just mentioned, that try and set up long lasting business solutions. 

All of the information above is from Indego Africa and bluma project websites, so check them out for precise details about the organizations and details of how you can help out! 

Let me know of organizations you've heard of, are a part of or ones you just help.

"What wer are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But if that drop was not in the ocean, I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop." - Mother Teresa

Have an amazing day :)

ps. Correction: I made a mistake, just realized that they do ship to Canada but will have to email them and ask them for a quote :) missed this the last time I was on their website!

3 comments:

  1. Awhh, thank you for this! My week is going great so far! Thank you for asking :)

    I donate heavily to www.kiva.org

    You should really look into it!

    Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. thumps up to that foundation!!! how good it is to wear something cute and fashion while helping others?

    happy thursday,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo cute and for a good cause!!! I love that so much!!! I love what you got. And that Mother Teresa quote is so poignant, why was she so amazing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog, your comments mean so much to me! xo